Saturday, July 31, 2010

Summer Reading

Because you can't sew *all* the time.



The stack on the left has been read. I'm starting on the stack on the right. If I get a job and am no longer involuntarily retired (laid off) I might not get through these before Christmas! Ahh, the trade offs; money versus time, time versus money...

Picked up the Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd because I liked The Secret Life of Bees so much, who didn't? It was an okay read. I can't get behind a woman's quest for self when it means leaving her husband and getting involved with a monk, I'm just saying.
I've read several No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books and always enjoy the lightheartedness of the writing, a quick read.
I picked up Eat, Pray, Love because I liked the write up on the back and I got a great deal of enjoyment out of it. I honestly had no idea it was taking the country by storm and is soon to be a motion picture. I liked it for its honesty and heart.
Live a Little's tag line is Go ahead, eat that brownie, blow off your workout, stay up late and live a little. A great modern review of what we really need to be doing to be healthy, written last year.
I brought French Hideaways home because the photography is breath taking. I didn't read every word of the travelogue-esque details of what each chateau or rural manor has to offer the discerning traveler because I didn't really care. But again, the pictures were stunning, like browsing through another time.
I don't know much about the books I haven't read yet. DS2 recommended Good Omens; the rest were on the exchange table at work just before I left and looked interesting for one reason or another.
Happy reading!

2 comments:

antique quilter said...

thanks for the book suggestions always interested in what others are reading.
I tend to read more in the winter. I like making a list of books to look for when I go to the library.
kathie

Fabricfaire said...

Mmmm, thankyou also for the info!I usually read none fiction,I might just bend a little!