Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Broken Dishes Mini

These little HSTs were cut aways from some other project. I just couldn't bear to throw them away.

It's too small to be mistaken for a potholder and that's a good thing! Don't cha just hate it when you put all this work into a mini and people say, "But what is it?"

It might sit another year or two before it gets borders on it but it's cute.

Faux Chenille Scarf

This could've been a part of the January's WISP challenge except that it's more of a HSY than a WISP. I've wanted to make one of these for ever so long, bought the woven flannel last January at the after winter clearance. When I finally knuckled down it only took about an hour or so. I used the instructions found here. The tutorial suggests using rayon, but I used woven, or 'homespun' cotton flannel.

Beginning woven flannel, prewashed

After it's been 'chenille-ified'

The week after I finished it we had unusually chilly weather for our valley and I got to wear it day after day. What a cozy thing to have around the neck!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Weekend Sewing

This quilt's been cut out for almost two weeks, waiting patiently for me to get back to it. Friday night I pieced and cut the strip sets.

Saturday I pieced some of the sub units and decided to make the 'something for nothing' HST's that come with this method. Maybe I can use them in a pieced border, that'd be cool.

By Sunday this is what I had. I drew a red line around one of the sub units so you can see how this comes together. It feels great to finally see what it's going to look like after all that cutting and pre-piecing! It's fast, but I think I like block by block construction; you get gratification after an hour with that method. :cD

Monday, February 11, 2008

Market Bag

I've had a chunk of 60" wide canvas since forever. I'm gradually making market bags to use for grocery shopping.

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

Working With Bits

Over the last few weeks I've been pressing the random sized squares from the vintage nine-patches I got at an Estate sale last year. The fabrics are delightful, lots of indigo, mourning cloth and taupe with an occasional turkey red thrown in. Not my usual color palette!

I didn't hesitate to take the blocks apart because they were appalling. The thread was thicker than buttonhole twist and the seams wandered. The blocks didn't lay flat and the whole thing puckered and bunched. Well look at the size(s) of the patches.

It's no wonder the blocks were such a mess. DH took a look at it and said, "Even I could do better than that." :D I haven't decided what I'll do with them yet, there aren't enough lights to make standard ninepatches. But for now it's enough to fondle them.