Thursday, August 02, 2018

Hand Painted Yarn

Debbie invited me to try some hand painted yarn dyeing. Three of us got together at her house, with natural wool yarn ready for painting.

We used acid dyes, here the yarn is soaking in water with citric acid.

We mixed small batches of dye in plastic squeeze bottles. I like this picture, it looks like "A Dyer's Still Life."

We didn't feel real confident at first so I just started painting.

It was easy and fun!

After the color was the way I wanted, I rolled the yarn in plastic wrap and heated it in the microwave. These are cooling in the sink before the rinse. We called them yarn sausages.


Debbie painting.

Debbie's yarn in the rinse.

Sharon painting.

Sharon's yarn in the rinse.

My yarn after it dried. Love it! I have no idea what it'll look like as knitted fabric, but that's part of the fun. I think I'll call it Ocean Song.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Table Runner

I'm still occasionally working on UFOs from a quilting friend who is no longer sewing. This came from a Ziploc bag full of strips and pieces without any clear indication of what she had in mind, so I turned them into a table runner.

These aren't colors I would ever think to work with, but I sure like the way it looks. It's fun to work outside my usual color palette once in a while.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Opportunity Quilt Update

We had another sew day for the 2019 quilt guild op quilt. Two of us sewed the lattice strips on the blocks and then the rows into the top. Then I took it home to add the borders

First border.

Final border. I have to say I like it better than I thought I would.

Sunday, June 10, 2018


Yellow daisies in a favorite vase that belonged to my Grandmother.

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Atwood Cardigan Update

Remember this post about the cardigan not fitting? Here's the panel sewn into the seam.

I estimated how much width to add, figured the stitch gauge and started and ended my pattern so it would mesh with the front and back once it was sewn in. Where there's a will, there's a way. 😊

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Macro Flowers

It's been a long, cold spring. It's nice to finally see the flowers in our front yard.

Wild onion
Pacific Coast iris
Bleeding heart

Monday, April 23, 2018

Tulip Festival

I've heard that the Tulip Festival in Washington is eye-popping, but it's true that seeing is believing. Wow! It was a perfect day weather-wise and the blossoms were at their peak while I was visiting my son and DIL. What a great outing.


Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Baby Uggs for the Newest Grandchild

I've made this pattern once before and thought it was cute and fun. Fun to make and to give. So when my DIL told us they're expecting in September, I decided to make them again.

As I got the yarn and needles together it occurred to me I could make them in natural alpaca with white angora trim; Ugg-like.

I'll be visiting Mom in Washington this week, so I'll be able to give them to my son and DIL in person.

Friday, March 30, 2018

A New Sweater for Dash

During the winter Dash was wearing an Alpine sweater that's too big for him. I gave that sweater to Pedro and decided to draft the color pattern on graph paper. I also wanted to see if I could design a sweater in a smaller stitch gauge so it would fit better, at the same time giving me a chance to practice some colorwork knitting on some thing small. This is Pedro wearing the sweater I used as a model.

Charting the color work stitches.

Recreating the sweater for Dash, size 2 needle and sock weight yarn.

Before sewing up.

It's cute and I like the color work, but I miscalculated and it's too tight on Dash, he looks like he's wearing a hand-me-down.

It's spring and he's wearing his light-weight sweater now, so it doesn't matter.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Finishing Another's UFO Block

I was given this unfinished Trip Around the World block and additional pre-pieced strips to go with it. Sometimes I enjoy finishing another quilter's patchwork because it gives me a chance to work with colors and fabrics I don't usually. And sometimes as I work with the pieces I discover why it was abandoned. I took it home and laid it out.

Can you see it? The block is 9 squares by 9 rows. The pre-pieced strips are five fabrics each. I pieced the upper half using the five-fabric strips, then removed one square from each pre-pieced sttrip to complete the pattern.

Too bad there wasn't additional fabric for borders.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

2019 Opportunity Quilt Blocks

I joined the Op Quilt committee this year. I figured it was something I could do to help out. The pattern is called Pie in the Sky, which looks like this.

The committee chair chose Civil War era prints. Not my favorite pallet of prints, because they tend to be dark, but I do like the cheddar orange and brown combination.

Everyone on the committee was asked to make nine blocks. Here are mine.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Pedro Bunny

Mom and I started a Little Cotton Rabbit for her during my visit in 2016. But he's still unfinished. Since she's been recovering from a broken hip, I thought she might like some company and decided to finish him for her. If I did all the knitting it would take a month, but a friend from the knitting group agreed to help me. Lotus did most of the knitting and I sewed, stuffed and assembled him.

Mom named him Pedro. When someone asked her why, she said, "Because that's Peter in Spanish." Ha, I love it!

Here he is with Dash. BBF.

Monday, March 12, 2018

Double Nine Patch Quilt

This was my leader and ender project while working on the donation quilts. I love little Nine Patch blocks, the color combinations are endless.

The setting is inspired by this favorite of mine.

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Sockalong Finish

January 20.
February 22.
I love 'em! They are thick and there are only some shoes that fit when I'm wearing them, but they're really warm. The week I finished, the weather turned cold and I was glad to have them.