Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Wedding Quilt - Part Two

The EQ draft was helpful for color choice and placement but finding the right fabrics would bring the quilt to life. The LFS didn't have a lot to inspire, so I went to Beverly Fabrics in my son's town. Talk about eye candy; it's really easy to get distracted!

The blender fabric was going to set the overall tone of the quilt so I looked for that first. I wanted something more modern than my usual choice. I got to step out of my calico-print-fabruc box for this one. I called my son from the store and asked his opinion - "Do you want an Art Deco look or something more Asian." He told me he wanted to be surprised. I was hoping for a little direction... My DIL2 had said her favorite color is black, so I was looking for something that had purple, sage green and black in it.

July 9th Fabric shopping

Wow! Paula Nadelstern's Deja vu. After that selection was easy.

I'm so used to making multi-fabric quilts from my stash, it was quite heady buying all the fabric for a king sized quilt at once! And the clerk at the cutting table was so friendly and interested in my project; she had lots of questions about the EQ draft I had with me. "You mean it even estimates yardage for you?" "Yes." She also gave me the guild discount even though I was from the next county.

After prewashing I was anxious to get going, I wanted to see how the Disappearing Nine Patch block looked with this blender fabric. But when I went to cut the strips for the Nine Patch blocks, I realized the Deja vu was a border repeat fabric. I had better cut my outside borders from the length at the beginning of the project, rather than at the end, to give me the longest strips possible. I rarely know what my border fabric is going to be at the beginning, let alone cut it first! :) 

July 11th Cutting borders

July 17th Piecing Nine patch blocks for the DNP

 Woo-hoo, we have lift off! Onward.

No comments: