Saturday, January 05, 2013

Wedding Quilt - Part Three

The Disappearing Nine Patch blocks went together quickly and the large size meant I only needed twenty. I pulled in another sage green and a couple of different purple fabrics from my stash to add interest to the overall quilt. It was very different for me to basically work with four colors - I'm so used to using 35-50 - making an effort to randomize and balance the layout. I liked the clean, straight-forward look of the colors in this quilt.
August 11th

I usually struggle with piecing diagonal set quilts because there never seems to be an easy way to lay the blocks in order next to me while I sew. I mentioned it to Marian and she suggested attaching post-it notes labeling each block and row. Wow, what a time saver! No more up and down to the layout in the living room.
August 31st

Then I trimmed the outside edge to square it up. Time to add the borders; but when I looked at the border strips I'd cut in the beginning, realized the repeating motif HAD to have a mirrored miter at the corners to do it justice. I'd never done mirrored mitered corners. I understood the concept but that's not much. I did a test first to practice.
  September  4th

I auditioned where in the print I wanted the mirrored image before cutting the angle.

Not too bad, really love the look!

No comments: