Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Heart Trivets


I got this idea from a woman in my mini group. What a perfect way to upcycle old wool shirts and worn out blue jeans.


Make a paper pattern that's at least 11" across the widest part, then cut one heart from 100% cotton denim.


Cut two hearts from 100% wool. In the picture above I pieced the wool by butting raw edged together and zig zagging over the join. You don't want spandex in the denim or a wool blend.

Then I strip pieced 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" cotton strips to the two layers of wool. Once it's pieced, I turned the heart wrong side up and trimmed the strips to the heart shape.


Next I added machine embroidery stitches along each seam in contrast colored thread. It was great fun to actually use some of those stitches on my machine! Then put denim right sides together with the pieced heart and sew 1/4" seam all the way around, leaving an opening to turn. Clip the curve and grade the seam allowance. Turn right side out, press and top stitch an 1/8" from the edge.


They were so fun I just kept making 'em!





1 comment:

Fabricfaire said...

Your talents never stop!!!!