Friday, July 14, 2006

The Smells of Summer

Smells are so evocotive. As I walk along the road to the local Post Office, the smell of grape leaves warming in the sun takes me back to other summers. Days lounging by the river listening to the whir of insects as we both try to avoid the heat. The warmer weather brings out the scents and aromas of so many growing things. These are a few of the scents I enjoyed during my walk.

This one I smelled before I saw it. I had to look around and discover the redwood behind a neighbor's fence in among the rhododendrons.

And these rows of lavendar grown in a side yard a few houses down from the redwood. I don't know why; year after year the owner doesn't harvest the blossoms or do anything with the crop. Man! When I think of all the sachets and lavendar water I could make.


The honey bees are all over these flowers. The rows of plants seem to hummm with their industry. I like to reach out and slide my hand along a few stalks and bring my fingers to my nose for the sweetness of the fragrance. But I always check which stocks I reach for. I don't want to disturb the honey -makers, such cute little guys.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

What a great pictures I almost can smell teh lavender

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»