Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Winding Ways

I have always admired two-color quilts, the contrast is so striking. And I've always admired the optical illusion of Winding Ways (aka: Wheel of Mystery). This is the 1998 magazine version that caught my eye.

Winding Ways Quilt
This is the EQ version so I could try before I buy. I was wondering how small I could make this pattern and still see the terrific visual movement. Okay... I'll try it.

EQ Version
Being a do-it-yourselfer, I made templates, traced from the magazine.

The first set I made were from cardboard. I punched holes with a 1/8" paper punch to provide the placement marks. But after I'd traced around the shapes with pen to mark the cutting line a few times I didn't like the way the templates were starting to soften.


The next set I made were from template plastic. I decided to darken one side of the templates because they kept disappearing on the table while I was working with them!

One weekend not long ago I was laid up in the recliner with a strained knee. I got out my lap board and began marking and hand-cutting the pieces. It was nice, something I haven't done in a long time, but slow going.


I've pieced one block each and I still like it. My curved piecing skills are definitely going to be honed during this project.


But I'm settling into the idea that this isn't going to be a 'quick and easy' quilt. I usually laugh when I read "Quick and Easy" in the same sentence as the word "Quilt". Most quilts are anything but... But as Frank said, "Well they're not going to call it 'Slow and Difficult' now are they?" :D But I was reminded again (and again, and again) I don't quilt for the end product but for the process. Time to dream, time to breath.

"Life is a journey, not a destination."

8 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Whew! You are a patient woman! This pattern is definitely not one to use up stash in a hurry.

But the end block is just perfect!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Wow - what a beauty that'll be and good for you for slowing down and hand piecing it. You have more patience that I have.

Fiona said...

What an effective pattern, the journey will be worth it!

Nancy said...

That's going to be gorgeous! And thanks for the reminder that in this world of instant everything some things still are better off done slow and easy.

Fabricfaire said...

I am sorry about your "knee owie"!
You make this look so easy.LOL!!! I know it will be a "beauty"! Hope it is done in time for the FLQS!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

That's a nice illustration for us, thanks for sharing.

Patti said...

I've always liked this pattern too, but have never contemplated doing it. It will be lots of fun watching yours evolve.

Anonymous said...

I've been working on a Winding Ways quilt as well, done in batiks. It's lovely so far. :) I admit to getting the pieces stamped out with an Accucut so I still have fingers to sew with! Any chance you'd be willing to share your EQ file for it? I'd like to design the rest of the quilt so I can finish it. I can be reached at 'lady hopefull 33 at yahoo dot com'. Thanks!