Monday, October 01, 2012

Interlocking Trivet


I decided to try this felted trivet, it looked easy.


I  wanted to use felted wool rather than craft store felt so I felted this lamb's wool-angora sweater in the washing machine.


Then I followed the directions on How About Orange's blog. Her instructions said to cut the shapes and slits with a craft knife, but I found it was easier to use a rotary cutter on all cuts expect the ones on the inside of the piece. Those I snipped with sharp embroidery scissors.
 

I fussy-cut the corner squares from the ribbing to add visual interest. Here it is before trimming.


The back has a fun woven appearance.


I left a border on mine and didn't trim it even with the interlocked shapes as shown in the tutorial. Then I whipped stitches the squares together to stabilize it. And it's completely washable!

No comments: