Monday, October 01, 2012

Fair Isle Repurposed



What a beautiful sweater, the color work is lovely.


But I can't really wear it, it's seen a lot of wear and tear.


So I decided to re-purpose it into a purse. I felted it in the washing machine to tighten the knitted fabric.



Then iron-on interfacing was added to stabilize it.



I used the measurements of the bag to create a lining. Every purse needs pockets too so I added those at this stage.



The handle from this thrifted beach bag will work very nicely.


I attached the handles before inserting the lining.



Then I added magnetic purse snaps to the lining before I seamed it in place.



I stitched the lining to the purse by hand for a soft finished edge,


and added a classic silver button.



Now I can enjoy this Fair Isle pattern more often than just on sweater days!

1 comment:

Linda said...

That is a beautiful bag!