Her scrap bag contained a lot of leftover rectangles from her quilts, so I decided to make another Continuous strip quilt, only this time pieced from bricks. I cut from the scrap bag, then decided it needed a blender fabric; all of these were monochromatic, tone on tone prints.
And that led me to cut up this cotton blouse that I made ten years ago and have probably worn six times. It was the perfect blender.
For the finished dimension I wanted, 33" x 34", I needed 14 yards of continuous strip.
Once the strip is pieced, I folded it in half RST and sewed down the entire length, cut it open and pressed it. I repeated those steps and watched the top grow, 2 rows, 4 rows, 8 rows, 16...
At 16 rows the length became the width and the piecing went from vertical to horizontal.
I *love* it! So fun, so easy; such a complete departure from my usual color palette. Originally I was going to add a border to make it bigger, but I auditioned six fabrics and they all toned it down too much; I didn't want to tone it down.
The machine quilting turned out pretty even too and I finished it with a pieced binding. Nice and bright... for the New Year!