Monday, September 07, 2009

Needle Case

My supervisor brought this into work recently; it looks like a promotional item from the Fort Bragg Drug store. Click any image to enlarge.







1904 ... The card inventories the 12 needles included.



And Baum's Celery, Beef, Iron and Wine is toted as being good for Nerves, Blood, Brain and Muscles. I think that just about covers it.

My husband's grandfather used to talk about driving a mule train for pennies a day at the turn of the last century.



And that works out to dollars a *week*. It seems to me that a dollar a bottle was asking a small forture. I wondered what the equivalent would be, so using the calculator at Measureworth I found out it's equal to $110.00 of an unskilled laborer's wages. That's a lot of sweat from one's brow for a bottle of snake oil!

2 comments:

Lindah said...

Wow! That's as much as a bottle of Lipitor --and without the science behind it.

Fabricfaire said...

What a nice treasure to share!
"Mule Train" still sings in my head!