Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pennies a Load



DH and I made liquid laundry soap Sunday. I got the recipe from Elaine, it was easy and made two gallons worth. I like the fact it doesn't suds a whole lot, sudding comes from an additive which is not earth friendly and it's not necessary to the washing power.

We haven't done laundry yet, but we did put a half cup in the water we used to wash the car, has a good grease cutter. :) The ingredients cost about nine dollars, but we only used a half cup of each powder, so there's lots more to make if we like the way it works. And two gallons used a half a cup at a time should last a long time. I'll let you know how the laundry turns out.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Excellent! I'm going to give this soap recipe a try. I've been using Orvis paste (horse shampoo, and exactly the same formulation as Orvis Quilt soap, the expensive stuff sold in quilt shops) in all my colored loads of laundry to reduce fading. Do you suppose this will work like that? It sure looks the same! Thanks so much Leslie. BTW, I like your hair cut too.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh good - aren't you glad you don't have to pick up that $10.00 jug of detergent almost every week at the grocery store? And no more of those jugs in the landfill, or to take to the dumpster?

I'm on my second batch of this detergent and next am going to get busy using the vinegar/water/? for general cleaning. Don't know what took me so long, but NO MORE junky cleaning agents either!!!

8-)