Finally I bit the bullet.
I decided rather than cut off all the diagonal ends in order to create my columns, I would sew the end to the beginning and make straight cuts across the column. That saved me an amazing amount of time and effort.
I cut the borders from the cheddar. I was laying in bed one night after working on it, calculating the totals: Eighteen yards of continuous Strippy colum and *thirty-six* yards of cheddar border.
Then it was just a matter of putting the pedal to the metal. I'd used Adela - my ftwt for all the piece work, but she was sounding tired. So I got out my mid-sized machine which was just back from a tune-up.