What I found were 18 eight inch Sawtooth Star blocks, 12 four inch pinwheel blocks and a handful of four patches and hst's. They were all mix and match as far as I could tell and the piece work was pretty nice. I took them home.
After much trial and error, this is the layout I decided on.
Most of the blocks are made with a dark star on a light background. Then there are a few light stars on dark backgrounds and a few I chose not to use because the contrast is almost non-existant so you couldn't see the star. I also didn't want to piece any additional blocks; this is intended to be a 'quick quilt' after all.
Then I went to EQ and recreated the block's colors (for the most part) and made border size and color choices. What a joy EQ is for this task! Instead of having to haul a bunch of fabrics out of the stash to audition I can just click and see. Here's the layout I think I'll use.
Off to the sewing room. More later... :D