Monday, August 17, 2015

Bread and Butter Pickles


This week I harvested more than a dozen pickles, in five varieties. I looked up Cold Cucumber Soup and made that first. It was yummy made with buttermilk, and tasted refreshing on a hot day.

But I still had more cucumbers than we could eat in a week, so I looked up pickles and found out how easy they are! I made a half recipe, substituted powdered mustard for mustard seed and dried dill for the celery seed, mostly because that's what I had on hand! The recipe seems really forgiving.


From lft to rt: Armenian, Poona, Long Improved Green, Marketmore, and Lemon cucumbers.



I didn't use the Armenian cucumbers because they were too soft for pickling.

They're tasty and ready to eat. I also think they'll improve with time. The taste of summer on into fall.

No comments: