Monday, February 12, 2018

Atwood Cardigan Redone

I've finished the back and one front and sleeve of my husband's cardigan. Before I cast on for the second front, I had the bright idea to sew the pieces together to see if they fit so far. Better to find out now than after the entire sweater's knit and assembled.


Well as fate would have it, the whole thing is too small. It's too tight across the shoulders and too snug around the arm. Argh. I know I measured him last year when I started the project. Could he have grown?


With some out of the box thinking, he said, "Can't you insert a panel somehow to make it bigger?" What a great idea! I called the knitting group expert and she came over and reviewed the math with me. Instead of having to rip the whole thing out and start again, we decided I could add an inch to the front and back, which would increase the armhole and then knit a one and a half inch panel to be sewn into the side seam. Then I'll just add stitches to the second front to increase it as well.

I love this yarn, I'm enjoying my new square needles and it's all knitting, which I love to do. So why does it feel like such a set back? I remind myself I'm a process person, not a product person.

No comments: