Friday, November 02, 2018

Birds in the Air Blocks

I've been collecting the cut aways from half-square triangle units for decades. I had a shoe box full. I decided it was time to see if I could make something out of them and took it to quilt retreat.


This is what I came up with. I generally had enough of each color combination to make a Birds in the Air block. They finish at 3 1/2". How many was I going to make? I didn't have any idea. I just sorted, grouped, pieced and added to the pile. I like the play of light and dark. But the collection had sat so long, I'd fallen out of love with most of the fabrics. This is as far as I got while on retreat. I thought I'd finish it at home.

 
But I've completely stalled. It's been on the design wall for more than a month. I decided I like the square layout better, and I won't have to make that many more blocks before I can piece the top. But if I don't love it, why finish it?


No comments: