Thursday, August 02, 2018

Hand Painted Yarn

Debbie invited me to try some hand painted yarn dyeing. Three of us got together at her house, with natural wool yarn ready for painting.

We used acid dyes, here the yarn is soaking in water with citric acid.


We mixed small batches of dye in plastic squeeze bottles. I like this picture, it looks like "A Dyer's Still Life."


We didn't feel real confident at first so I just started painting.

It was easy and fun!


After the color was the way I wanted, I rolled the yarn in plastic wrap and heated it in the microwave. These are cooling in the sink before the rinse. We called them yarn sausages.


Rinsing.


Debbie painting.


Debbie's yarn in the rinse.


Sharon painting.


Sharon's yarn in the rinse.


My yarn after it dried. Love it! I have no idea what it'll look like as knitted fabric, but that's part of the fun. I think I'll call it Ocean Song.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

OMG! That is so cool and it does look really easy. What have you planned to knit with it? I have bought hand dyed yarn before for socks— yes a total waste in terms of actually seeing it but more affordable than buying a whole sweaters worth! I’ve had fun dying quilting fabric before. But I find I hate to use it because it is valuable? Very involved to do myself? Any of the above reasons. Enjoy your yarn!