Inspired by a picture in a vintage knitting magazine, I decided to try and customize the front of a standard cardigan. While I waited for the LYS's annual sale, I swatched using Cascade 220 (not superwash) in a red I had on hand to determine stitch gauge. The sale was in August and I got the long-sought after heather blue. A great shade to wear with denim and just about everything else.
The cardigan waited while I worked on other projects. I cast on in October, starting with the sleeve, because I was curious to see if my stitch gauge would be different while knitting in the round. The fronts and back are going to be knit flat.
Here's the right front. It has a seed stitch button band and a 3x3 cable on a seed stitch ground. The pattern has slight shaping at the waist, which I like. And I'm enjoying the yarn, which is soft and slightly springy.
The pattern I'm using has a V-neckline, so I'll look at Ann Budd's book on customizing sweaters and see if I can figure out how to make it a crew neck. I used to wonder about design as I struggled with basic patterns. It's fun to see how my knitting skills have improved in six years.