This quilt top has been together, minus the first border, for weeks. All I needed to do was apply an unpieced border with mitered corners. But I dragged my feet, did all sorts of other projects and procrastinated, because quilters grumble about mitered corners; they might pucker, or have a gap in the center or not lay flat. The last time I mitered a border was four years ago, for my son's wedding quilt. But that was a mirrored miter, this one should be a lot easier.
When I finally got down to it, the miters themselves only took about a half an hour. 3 out of 4 turned out spot on the first time. DH says I need to trust myself more.
Then I needed to figure out how to make the pieced chevron units for the second border. I avoided the project for another month or so, while it stared at me from the design wall. I started something else, a Log Cabin quilt, with easy no-thinkum sewing. When I finally took a Sunday afternoon of uninterrupted time to focus on the problem, I solved it in an afternoon. Bam! That was so satisfying.
I've been motoring along ever since, piecing 82 - 2" x 1 1/8" chevrons. Last night it was time to lay them out.
It's good for me to write these things down. I can see my progress better over time. Maybe it'll build confidence!