Friday, December 28, 2012

Wedding Quilt

Last spring Hollin and Kimberly set a date for a summer wedding and we talked about the kind of quilt they'd like. Eventually they'd be getting a king-sized bed so we decided on a California king-sized quilt. I chose colors based on the colors their bridal registry said they wanted for their bed linens and duvet cover. I went to my Electric Quilt program and began drafting an idea based on the Disappearing Nine Patch.  

July 6th Block construction drafts

DNP: traditional setting

Because of the size of the quilt, this setting would need 80 blocks. I wanted to finish it for Christmas! I wondered what it would look like if I set it on point; that would allow the pieced block size to be bigger and have open set blocks where quilting could be showcased. Ah... much better.

I fudged back and forth with block sizes in EQ, letting the program do the math for me. The final dimensions needed to be 90" x 109". That meant the DNP block would finish at 13 1/2" and the cut squares for the blocks would be 5 1/8". Not a quilter friendly measurement but do-able! Now to fabric shop...

No comments: