Thursday, December 02, 2010
It's a Block
Y seams - need I say more? I pieced the star and thought I'd reduce bulk by pressing the seams open, but when I went to set in the background square there wasn't any seam allowance to sew to! Return and repeat. I pressed the seams closed, I set the square in again, too low. Ripped it and set it in again, a pucker. After over an hour on the same seam I got it right. They got easier after that. I have 160 Y seams to do, they better get easier!
It was great to 'piece' the block together in PhotoShop to see how it would look, but it's more exciting to actually have the block together.
The Y seams lay flat and there's a quarter inch seam allowance all the way around.
The eight center intersections come together nicely.
And the directional background fabric all goes in the same direction.
However... the pattern says it should measure 22 inches and mine is 21 and three-eighths. We'll see what size the rest turn out. Then I'll know whether to run screaming from the room!