Monday, July 14, 2008

Quilting paddles

Several years ago I used to glass handlers gloves to help me grip the quilt while machine quilting. They were cotton like gardening gloves with rubber dots covering the palm and fingers. But they were thick and hot and had to be taken off for every task such as thread snipping, threading the needle, etc.

Then I switched to Machiners and was totally excited at how light they were. AND I could thread a needle even with them on. But they were synthetic and still hot and I always over heated while summer machine quilting.

When I was recently at my Janome dealer she showed me her Quilt Sew Easy discs. I poo-poo'ed them at the time thinking I didn't want to have to pick 'em up and put 'em down all the time. And they were so simple for the $19.95 suggested retail. Nah...

But! Two pieces of foam core board and a scrap of non-skid rug mat later and I have to say I'm totally in love with these.

Now I'm able to quilt much longer without the usual fatigue in my arms and shoulders; they grip so well. And I can go faster because they allow me to evenly advance the quilt without having to stop. Yay! There really are new products out there that make the job easier. And this dog can learn new tricks. And the price was right. :cD

Note from Connie;
What a fabulous surprise! I took a break from doing some free motion quilting on my Grandaughter's quilt and opened your blog to find this post. I immediately went and made a quicky version with jar lids and grippy stuff. Wow - what a differece! My jar lids were a little too tall and would hit the screw on the needle bar when I got to close, so I just used the cut out grippy stuff and it still worked great. No more pulling off those hot gloves! Thanks, you made my day!

2 comments:

Connie said...

What a fabulous surprise! I was on a break from doing some free motion quilting on my Grandaughter's quilt and opened your blog to find this post. I immediately went and made a quicky version with jar lids and grippy stuff. Wow - what a differece! My jar lids were a little to tall and would hit the screw on the needle bar when I got to close, so I just used the cut out grippy stuff and it still worked great. No more pulling off those hot gloves! Thanks, you made my day!

Rose Marie said...

Great, great tip and sure do love the price as well! :o)