I took it apart and used the pieces as a pattern for the makeover. The original was lined and had a pocket, so I lined mine and included a pocket too.
I was feeling my way along as I worked and somewhere in there realized, just because I don't know exactly what I'm doing doesn't mean I can't do this. After that I stopped stressing myself and it came easier. I also noticed my fabric was a directional, with the water pool pattern going side to side, so I made sure to cut out all the pieces right-side up.
The wood is so beautiful. It stands by my chair while I knit, and folds away against the wall when not in use.